Sunday, March 13, 2011
Vegan Sweet Yeast Rolls
This is my attempt at veganizing King's Hawaiian bread, which I adapted from this recipe: Sweet Vegan Challah Bread
These rolls don't come out exactly like store bought Hawaiian bread, but they're good in a healthier way. They're more filling and whole grain tasting, but they're still super sweet!
2 1/4 tsp Instant yeast
1 cup Warm water
1/2 cup Brown sugar
4 Tbs Agave
4 Tbs Earth Balance, melted and cooled; plus more for tops
1/2 tsp -1 tsp salt
3 heaping tsp Flax meal
2 cups Whole white wheat flour
1 cup Whole wheat flour
Oil for oiling bowl and baking dish
1. Mix the instant yeast with the flours well. Add salt and brown sugar and mix. Stir the agave in with the cooled melted margarine and add to the flour mixture. Add the warm water and mix it together.
2. Knead the dough in the bowl until smooth. You make need to sprinkle in a few tablespoons of flour. I did this for about 12 minutes.
3. Put the dough in a large bowl coated with oil, making sure that the dough ball coated as well.
4. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size. Punch the dough down and shape back into a ball. Cover it and let it rise again for another 40 minutes to an hour, or until it has doubled in size.
5. Punch the dough down again and let it rest 15 minutes. Divide dough into 4 equal portions, then divide each of those into equal portions, giving you 16 portions. Roll each portion into a ball and place in a glass baking dish with the sides touching. You could use a pan or whatever.
6. Preheat the oven to 375 and cover one more time to let rise about 30 minutes, or until almost doubled in size.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tops are browned and the bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Spread the tops with Earth Balance and let cool for at least 20 minutes.