Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Strawberries!

It's crappy and hot here, but there were some great Florida strawberries at the grocery the other day. Since I don't like them raw, I decided to bake with them.

I ate two of these muffins before I decided I wanted strawberry bread pudding instead. I'll be making a pudding with them later tonight after I dry them out/toast them.

[Picture soon even though they turned out ugly]

Muffins with fresh strawberries:
1 carton fresh strawberries
1/4 cup brown sugar
If you use a large bowl here, you'll use fewer bowls. Mash the strawberries and mix with sugar. Let sit while you preheat the oven to 375F and prepare the rest. They'll get juicy, but don't drain the liquid.

1/2 cup plant milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Mix these and let sit too.

2 cups white flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sugar (or to taste-- you can always add more so start with less if you're wary)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt

Add all these ingredients in with the strawberries until incorporated. Don't forget the milk mixture. Taste and make sure you don't want more sugar.

Pour into 12 oiled muffin tins. I like to oil the liners too.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. DON'T under-bake.

No comments:

Post a Comment